How you can help..
In August 2016, Sidmouth was awarded Fairtrade status for its commitment to Fairtrade principles, thanks to the efforts of local campaigners.
Our Fairtrade Town status was successfully renewed in October 2019 for a further two years. and we continue to engage with businesses and organisations such as hotels, charities and libraries. Many outlets and churches have served Fairtrade beverages and Fairtrade chocolate bars . We continue to build a very strong relationship with Sidmouth Town Council to promote Fairtrade produce not only on their website and in the tourist information centre but throughout the town.
A resolution was passed by the Town Council to actively promote Fairtrade to consumers, businesses and community groups in the area.
As part of the campaign, retailers had to pledge to sell more than four Fairtrade products, eateries to serve at least two Fairtrade products, and other businesses or organisations show their support by using a similar number of Fairtrade products, such as tea and coffee, for their staff or customers. The campaign also secured support from faith groups and voluntary organisations, as well as lobbying businesses to promote the Fairtrade message in their working practices.
Fairtrade helps small-scale farmers ensure they earn stable incomes and have long-term contracts with companies. In addition, they earn the Fairtrade Premium, which they invest as the farmer-owned co-operative democratically chooses, in projects that will benefit and meet the needs of women, children, business and wider community.
Wendy Spratling, Coordinator of Sidmouth Fair Trade Steering Group, says: “We are delighted that more and more Sidmouth shops and catering outlets are coming on board, and hope that consumers will support them by buying Fairtrade wherever they see it, and asking for it where they don’t. It’s a small change – but it can make a big difference!”
How you can help:
- Buy Fairtrade products wherever you can and encourage others to do so
- Make your purchasing power work for fairtrade producers and local businesses
- Get involved! Obtaining Fairtrade Town status is only the beginning: there’s lots more work to do! If you would like to get involved in our campaign in any way – from joining the Steering Group to helping out at our events – please get in touch with us.
- Also, if you are a part of a community group – whatever the focus – join us in spreading benefits of Fairtrade and use fairtrade refresments at meetings.
- Use our to keep up to date and share your news Facebook page
Some of the many Fairtrade items available in your local shops. Over 4,500 products are now licensed to carry the Fairtrade Mark, from food and drink through clothing and homewares to flowers, sports balls and jewellery.
Sign up below for newsletter & events notifications
For any general enquiry please email us at email@example.com
visit our Facebook page